HKA is one of the world’s leading privately owned, independent providers of consulting, expert and advisory services for the construction, manufacturing, process and technology industries.
As trusted independent consultants, experts and advisors, we deliver solutions amid uncertainty, dispute and overrun, and provide the insights that make the best possible outcomes a reality for public and private sector clients worldwide. Our experts have testified across the globe on many of the largest quantum, delay, engineering and commercial damages matters.
As part of the HKA team you can expect:
- The opportunity to join a thriving team of enthusiastic engineers and support staff, with a wide variety of backgrounds and specialisms.
- A team that supports collaboration with the opportunity to work with diverse teams across multiple projects and interact with multi-disciplinary groups globally.
- The ability to leverage HKA’s strong brand in the construction space and reputation for exceptional expert witnesses to accelerate career development and connections.
- Outstanding training for those aspiring to become practitioners in the construction law space.
To address a flourishing pipeline and several immediate project needs, the Structures team at HKA is looking to recruit a new Senior Engineer or Associate to be part of its busy, friendly team of forensic engineers and expert witnesses.
The role is varied across a range of complex technical projects, from both the UK and abroad. You will be given the opportunity to assist on small and large projects, learn the skills needed to produce expert witness/advisory reports, and participate at the forefront of construction disputes. We will consider engineers at senior or associate level currently and there is scope to progress quickly for the right motivated candidate.
Candidates need to be Chartered and with a sound technical background and a strong degree, combined with confident communication skills. Forensic experience is a plus but not a must, however an interest in construction law is encouraged.
This is a unique opportunity for a structural engineer looking for something new and challenging, to reap the rewards of fascinating diverse projects and a specialist career path.
This role can be based our London or Birmingham offices and can be part-time or full-time. We also offer a hybrid flexible working policy.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Assisting other team members and experts with calculations and analysis
- Assessment/checking of structural designs, drawings and details
- Undertaking technical literature reviews and research
- Document reviews and identifying and summarizing key evidence/chronologies
- Drafting of reports and letters in good clear written English
- Undertaking site visits and investigations, typically in an assisting role
- Participate in and record meetings outcomes and actions
- Deliver work to time and agreed fees
- Progression to acting as an expert witness including being cross examined in court or other proceedings
Skills and Experience:
Ideally you will possess the following skills and experience:
- Masters degree in civil/structural engineering or equivalent.
- Chartered with the IStructE or ICE (ICE preferred).
- A background in designing a broad range of structures/materials ideally gained in a mainstream consultancy or Contractor.
- Minimum 8 years of design experience.
- A strong interest in Construction law, contracts and dispute resolution.
- Excellent problem solving abilities.
- Proactive and self-starting.
- Strong report writing skills with the ability to communicate technical details to a non-technical audience effectively.
What we offer:
At HKA we recognise that our people are critical to our ongoing success. Our priority is to provide an inclusive and collaborative culture aimed at providing the best opportunities for our people to thrive and develop in their chosen career path.
We operate a flexible working pattern both in terms of hours and location and are happy with flexible remote working.
Our Global Recruitment team is committed to providing an authentic candidate experience for all those who take the time to apply to HKA. We are committed to providing an efficient and insightful recruitment process giving candidates a true reflection of life at HKA. We are committed to responding to all applicants who apply by the closing date.
ED&I at HKA:
HKA has a thriving ED&I committee working hard to provide an inclusive and welcoming environment for a truly diverse set of employees. We are committed as a business on the continued improvement of our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion strategy, please visit our careers page for further information or feel free to ask our recruitment team for further information.
All HKA employment decisions are firstly made on merit and shall be made without regard to age, disability, gender or gender reassignment, marriage, and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, and sexual orientation, or any other basis in compliance with local legislation.